Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Humility

Almost each day, I pick a card from the "Daily Challenges for Spiritual Growth" developed from the teachings of Mata Amritanandamayi Devi (also known as Amma). Two days in a row now, I have picked the card that says: "Today I practice humility".

I've since been wondering why I picked this card at this time in my life and what humility really means.

Contemplating humility, I realized that I am not a victim of that which is happening TO me. Everything that happens in our lives is the result of Karma, either destined or permitted. In this context, humility comes from the understanding that I am solely responsible for that which is happening in my life in this moment. My thoughts, words and actions in the past (either this lifetime or previous lifetimes) have created an energy residue, which needs to be balanced in accordance with the Universal Law of Karma: the Law of Cause and Effect, the Law of self-created Destiny. In de past I created my present and in the present I am creating my future. Humility then becomes about taking responsibility for one's actions, the suffering created to oneself and to others. Humility is to recognize that I am still trapped in the cycle of birth and death because of previous karmic debt and a present attachment to the illusions of the ego. Humility is to realize that the only way to reduce this Karma and to not create any future Karma, is by purifying my thoughts, words and actions NOW. This can only be done through steady and persistent spiritual practices and meditation, which will help me to release and go beyond the attachments of the ego and experience oneness with all that IS.

I further realized that ALL is God. We are part of an intricate whole which divinely guides our lives. In this context, humility comes from the understanding that if all is God/Divine, then every moment is perfect, and this moment too carries within itself everything that I need to be happy. 
In this context humility comes from a place of surrender and gratitude that everything is Grace. Being in this body, being in human form is pure Grace, for only here do we get to experience duality, emotions, pain and pleasure. And only from this place of duality are we able to experience the illusion of separation and ultimately realize that we are the Self and experience oneness with all that is.

Lastly, I realized that practicing humility opens my heart to Divine Will. Aligning my will with Divine Will means I am non-resistant and receptive to this moment. 
This moment too can be used to grow and evolve. In this moment I can TRUST that I am fully and 100% supported and loved. Humility then becomes about non-resistance and receptive to the present moment instead of resisting what is happening right now and wishing it were different.

Humility therefore is not bowing down to something greater than you, because you are worthless, or worse still, a sinner. Humility is to know that you are the Self/Spirit/Divine. This is why Ramana Maharshi said: "knowing the Self, God is known. In fact God is none other than the Self.”



Humility ultimately for me means knowing that I am God and that there is no "I" to do anything, control anything, change anything or manifest anything. Humility is to know that I am no-thing AND every-thing. Humility therefore means knowing: I am God, you are God, ALL is God.

In the Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna declares humility as the foremost trait of a saint: "You have the right to work, but never to the fruit of work... The ignorant work for their own profit, Arjuna; the wise work for the world."





No comments:

Post a Comment